I want my kids to be stars


Today I have another story about a song, a book, and tillie Rose (do I need to get out of the house more so I have something else to write about? Probably). But if you know Tillie it's not surprising, as reading and singing are two of her favorite things. Possibly on the top of her list of favorite songs is Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star. She loves to sing it, dance to it, and if a toy or book plays "Twinkle, Twinkle" she will play it non. stop.

 
This week I pulled out a box with books that I have been saving to share with Tillie as she moves on from board books. I let Tillie pick out a few new books to read, and she started with a classic, Mother Goose Nursery Rhymes.

We sang and read our way through the pages, and I shared songs that have been collecting dust in my mind, like Polly Put the Kettle On, and Sing a Song of Sixpence. Sure enough, not too far into the book we found Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star. I was surprised however to see that it has more than one verse, and how sweet the other verses are.


As I read through the words I couldn't help but think, I hope my kids will become these little stars! All too often in our world it seems that the "blazing sun is gone", and many cannot "see which way to go", or feel that they're "travelling in the dark". Many wonder if there is a God, or if he cares about us anymore.

How the world needs these little lights, to show the way and give hope and courage! Lights to help others see that God lives and loves us. Lights to show us that even in the darkest times we are not forsaken.


How I hope to raise my daughters to keep their lamps bright with faith so they can be those lights. I pray that they will learn to "twinkle"--to not be ashamed of what they believe and not be afraid to stand out and be different, and to be the warmth and light when the world seems a cold and dark place. I pray that they will realize how much the world needs their light.

I am going to try to memorize the other verses of the song, and on those days when we are singing and twirling away to Twinkle Twinkle, I will also be giving my girls a gentle reminder that they are those little stars.


Twinkle on little stars.

No comments

Post a Comment

Design by Kelly Brito