This is the Life


A couple of weeks ago Dave had just come home from work in the evening, and we were chatting about my day—which consisted of what it largely always consists of: feeding, burping, changing diapers, playing baby games, putting babies down for naps, cleaning it all up, a quick workout…and, well, then doing it all again. With a smirk on my face I said to him, “Dave, I really don’t have a life!” He turned to me and said something I hope I’ll never forget, “No, you have the life.” He went on to tell me not only what a blessing this life is to me and our family now, but how the time I’m spending at home with our kids is a great investment for the great things that will come down the road.


What he said has stuck with me, and I've been thinking about it for the last couple of weeks. And you know what? I believe it. I really do believe that there is nothing better that I could be doing right now, no matter how unglamorous it is from the world’s perspective.


The key for me is remembering this. It is so easy to forget—especially when I look to the world for assurance. When I look to TV, magazines, even sometimes my own Facebook and Instagram feeds for clues that what I’m doing as a parent is the most valuable thing I could be doing with my time, I’m largely left empty and disappointed. The world doesn't value raising children. Even though they should, because it’s the very thing that would save them, their social policies, their crime rates, and the emptiness that engulfs so much of all of it!!


However there is one source that I can always go to remember that what I am doing has the greatest worth. I go to the source that is unchanging, that always “gets it”, that doesn't mold to the popularity and trends and fashions of the world, that is the well of water that never runs dry. When I regularly talk with God and anchor my life to him, I am reminded that there is no greater work than what I’m doing every day.  


Yes, this is the life. 

xo, 

Lizzy

No comments

Post a Comment

Design by Kelly Brito