Like a Little Child

I’ve been humbled this week. On Tuesday the twins and I got hit with some sick strain of either the flu or a cold, and it’s leveled me. I didn’t go out of the house for 5 days, and even my eyeballs ached. I was humbled by how easily I can lose my health, but even worse, how easily I can become spiritually frustrated. After day 3 I wanted to throw the towel in.

In contrast, my sweet angel twins reacted to the same sickness in a very different way. It broke my heart to see them struggling and congested, but yet after feeds they would still look up at me with that baby sparkle in their eye, and warmth in their smile (which Dave says is because “they are just so full of goodness”).  Never in their countenance did I sense blaming or anger.

It’s made me ponder all week about how the Savior’s taught that we must become like little children.

At the same time came the disciples unto Jesus, saying, Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?
And Jesus called a little child unto him, and set him in the midst of them, And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.
Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.
Matthew 18:1-4




I am learning so much from my 3 little children, and realizing how far I have to go to become like them. While even little children face sadness, pain, and hurt, I must learn like them not to turn to frustration, anger and bitterness.

One of my favorite verses in the Book of Mormon beautifully explains that little children are “submissive, meek, humble, patient, full of love, willing to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit to inflict upon him, even as a child doth submit to his father.”  

I hope that someday I develop that same childlike meekness and learn to trust God and his will, whether in sickness or in health. How grateful I am for the command to become like them.

No comments

Post a Comment

Design by Kelly Brito