Growing Up II


My baby’s growing up.

It was just yesterday that she was trying her first solid foods, being rocked in my arms, and babbling with that toothless grin.  Now she feeds herself with a spoon, loves to twirl and sing and dance, and melts our hearts with her distinctive way of saying “I love you, daddy". 
 
with daddy over labor day weekend in Maryland
She’s growing out of clothes, talking about her friends, and learning about the time out chair. She even had her first big girl haircut.


A few times now I've been watching her and other older girls and have had little glimpses of stages still to come—taking trips together, cooking together, and late night talks about things that matter most. I’m the last person to wish away this stage but I do get excited imagining all the fun mothering stages yet to come.

As I was picking out some prints for the girls nursery I came upon this print:

via
The quote comes from the Chronicles of Narnia series. Call me a nerd, but it is one of my all-time favorite book series. In and of themselves the books are entertaining and imaginative, but with the underlying Christian themes and allegories they are brilliant. Throughout the series is the character Aslan, a lion that created the world, visits the different people throughout the stories, gives his life to save someone and then is brought back to life by deeper magic, and in the end, helps the world become new—obviously the Savior figure in the book.
 
He is weaved in and out of the stories and is a special friend to the little girl Lucy, who in a later book meets him again when she is older and has the conversation quoted on the print.

When I saw the print I knew I wanted it for the girls’ room, if nothing else as a reminder to me that the Savior is there no matter how big or small I am, and is big enough to help me parent no matter the age. He is there to help me have patience in the middle of the night, to help me recognize the needs of a toddler who is acting out, and to help me love when I feel like I don’t have enough in my heart.


How comforting to know that for every stage of parenting, for every year they grow, because He loved enough he can, and will, help me be grow to be enough too.

xo, 

Lizzy
 

No comments

Post a Comment

Design by Kelly Brito