Happy Mother's Day


I think Mother’s Day should be one of the most celebrated days of the year. For so many reasons.

Today what hit me is how my own mother, and my experience with motherhood, have taught me what love is, and about the One who knew how to perfectly love.

I realize that for most of us Mother’s Day is a day filled with many emotions. For some a longing for mothers past, for others gratitude for the mother figures. And for those contemplating becoming a mother, or currently mothers themselves, the emotions may also include guilt, joy, nervousness or excitement. For me this mother’s day is accompanied by a few of those those emotions as I anticipate my own mother leaving for 3 years to serve with my dad in Australia, a high-risk pregnancy that could mean a 2 month hospital stay and potential NICU visits, and the newness of life that I desperately hope will be in our home.

Phew.

But it is because of, not in spite of, these emotions that motherhood is teaching me how to truly love.

My Mother with me and my sister Jesika on Christmas Eve. 
It is through my angel mother that I was first taught about unconditional love.

She wasn't perfect, but her effort through her imperfections taught me that love and mothering is a choice.

She taught me what it means to put someone else's needs first, and how to live your life to nurture someone else's. Her work and life pointed to the Savior, who also loved unconditionally, daily put others above himself, and gave his life so that we could become like Him.

And in the process I saw her become more like Him as well.

Me and my daughter Tillie Rose, hours after I became a mother for the first time.
How blessed I feel to have had that kind of mother, and I hope I can become half of who she is, and who He is.

So happy Mother’s Day to all of you. I hope you have a moment today where you can reflect on the love the Lord has for each you, which is so often shown us and taught to us through our angel mothers.

xo,

Lizzy

No comments

Post a Comment

Design by Kelly Brito