A little news...

About the same time that I graduated from law school something else very exciting--much more exciting than graduation--was happening to me. Little did I know but inside of me things were changing, moving and making way for a new addition to the Jensen family.

A month later as I felt the nausea and discomfort I realized that the blessing I've been hoping and praying for might just be coming true. A few pregnancy tests later (I wanted to be sure to confirm and not get my hopes up prematurely) I broke the news to Dave. As I surprised him with the news we both sat for a few minutes, grins on our faces but a deeper joy in our hearts as we contemplated that this might just be real. However with the bar pressing down on me and the nausea welling inside of me it was all I could do to get through the next two months. I think I spent more time in the library restroom than the study desk, all the while offering up silent prayers that somehow the stress and worry wouldn't affect my pregnancy, or that I would know to stop if it was too much. (A few months later I heard about a girl this year in Illinois who was in labor taking the bar...and still passed.) 

The morning after I returned from taking the bar in Albany, Dave and I set off to enjoy Lake Powell and sunshine, and to break the news to my family! It was so sweet see the excitement in my parents faces, the tears in my sweet sister Jesika's eyes, and to see the understanding in my little niece and nephew's face (who had been praying for months for Uncle Dave and Aunt Lizzy to get pregnant) as we broke the news. What a great way to start a family vacation! 
We took this picture right after we got to Lake Powell, just a few minutes after we broke the news!
Words can't explain the feelings I had seeing the heartbeat for the first time, and then hearing it. I think my own heart grew two sizes that day. The quick whoosh of the little heart beat overwhelms me, and is followed by my own sigh of relief and prayer of gratitude every time I hear it. 

The first ultrasound
Dave and I decided we definitely wanted to find out the gender (I blamed it on the fact that I'm such a planner, but really just couldn't wait!).  I had been playing out the scenarios of having the oldest a boy or a girl in my mind for months, but kept feeling that it was a girl despite not having a preference (I will admit Dave was a little biased to blue :). Although the baby was in a crazy position the tech could quickly tell the gender and asked if we wanted to know. We heard "girl" and once again grinned in silence, contemplating how this would change our family and our lives. 
The position she would not budge from, except for to continually kick her little feet!
Her first profile. I am in love.
I think every stage of pregnancy gets sweeter. Along with ditching the nausea, the second trimester has brought increased energy and a new sensation, her movement. A few nights ago I lay sleepless on the bed holding my stomach and feeling her squirm and kick. Every time I feel movement it reminds me that she is real and alive and growing, and that I am blessed. 

I think I've never been so close to tears so often, with my overwhelming gratitude as a gateway to my emotions. Sometimes I wonder how much she knows and feels, and if she has any idea how blessed I feel to be her mom. At times I tell her just that, and all about how excited I am to meet her in just a few months. I already have so many dreams for her and can't wait to teach her all about what means so much to me, and learn so much from her.

So I guess for us it is big news, big changes, big purchases, big appetite, and a getting-bigger belly. The only thing that is still little is our little one, who's growing bigger every day!

20 comments

  1. How completely perfect. I am so excited for you, she will be such a beautiful addition to your family! Can't wait to meet her! Love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Lizzy. So, so, so, so, so excited for you! And please buy those cute pink shoes for her. She NEEDS them. I just know it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. She will be blessed to have such a sweet mother!! That picture of her up-side-down looks like your legs :) I AM SO EXCITED FOR YOU!!!! Love you my sister.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such an exciting time! Judging by her pictures.....I think your little girl is exploring the possibilities of being a gymnast!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Lizzy!!! I am so happy for you! What wonderful news! Know that my heart is celebrating for you too! I can't think of a woman who would be a more beautiful mother than you. What a blessed little angel to come to you. I am glad you are feeling well. I could feel your happiness as I read :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just the sweetest thing ever. My goodness. So happy for you. I love the paragraph you wrote about how every stage gets sweeter and sweeter. How tender too that your nieces and nephews were praying for you. One time I was home in LA visiting family and we were having family prayer. My 5 year old nephew said it and he asked for "Aunt Mary to have a baby." I melted.. I had no idea the little ones were even prayed for me. I look forward to sharing the baby step growths together. Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. YAY YAY YAY!!! You guys are going to be AMAZING parents...I am so, so excited for you to experience it! What a lucky little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a sweet post. I am so happy for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations!!!! That overwhelming gratitude and closeness to tears doesn't ease up.... I teared up numerous times while reading this post! I am so excited for you and Dave. All our best wishes for a smooth, healthy next few months!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ohhhh...this is so exciting! I can't wait to see this little baby. Love the ultrasound pictures. It really is so neat to be able to have children. So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hurray! Congratulations! You will be an amazing mom. I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved reading this!!! I am so happy for you two. What a lucky little girl to have you guys as parents! xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lizzy! What a sweet story! I loved reading your feelings and thoughts about becoming a mother. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So Happy for you guys. You will be wonderful parents. hope you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know this is a little late, but I'm so happy for you! Congratulations! And I'm so impressed that you were able to study for and take the bar exam while being sick. You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats! I'm so excited to hear about your BIG news:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. any more updates??? I'd love to hear how you are doing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats! Sounds like you have had an exciting year.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lizzy, what a wonderful little post. Thank you for sharing your ultrasounds with us along with your thoughts and tender feelings of a future mother. Although you are so excited for her to be here, utilize Dave time a.m.a.p. After little Aela (I made that one up if you want to use it) is born you will be a parent for eternity!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Liz please post some pregnancy pictures! I am dying to see how cute you are!!

    ReplyDelete

Design by Kelly Brito