Singing in the Subway

So after a week of ahem, learning experiences, I had a really wonderful day today. I'm not sure what was in the air or water, but it seemed that somehow everything was just right. The feeling reminded me of a song I just bought- "Lifetime" by Katharine McPhee. People seemed to act like it was almost Christmas--engaging in the bustling, friendly banter that I long for out here.
First, on my commute to school I got on the subway and stood next to a very friendly black man. Sometimes on the subway there are people (who I assume are there legally as they wear some kind of tag around their neck) who solicit money from the riders to help the poor in NY, they provide hygeniene kits etc...they are pretty loud, and talk about how they escaped poverty and sleeping in subways and then wanted to help others too. Anyhow, this was one of those guys so it was pretty normal for him to talk in front of everyone on the subway. We started a little friendly banter (which is pretty rare on the subway besides for this group) and he was quite loud and saying things like I have really pretty teeth (funny) and asking about what I do etc. I thought he was a street singer and asked if that was what he did (this makes me laugh now that I think I asked that). He said no, but that he did have a special song for me. He proceeded very loudly to sing "Just the Way You Look Tonight." It was so funny, and I definitely had a huge grin on my face as I stepped off that subway.
It seemed that everyone was so friendly, and then to end off such a great day I ran into a man down in the subway who was blind. For some reason I was so touched, and really inspired by this man, using a cane to navigate his way through the subway system of New York. I told him that I was really impressed by him, and that after a month of commuting I still struggled with the subways. We had a lovely chat on the subway.
All in all I felt a connection with New York City that I've been hoping to feel. I think this is going to be a good relationship.

2 comments

  1. I loved hearing about your subway experiences....thanks for sharing! Great picture too! It is wonderful that you are keeping a blog about your life in Connecticut/New York; classic experiences that you will never want to forget!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you'll have a good relationship because you'll make it good! You're awesome sis. And I can totally picture him singing to you on the subway and everyone totally wanting to look :) But of course they can't because they are on the subway in New York :) So funny!

    ReplyDelete

Design by Kelly Brito